Many patients have a habit of grinding and clenching their teeth while they sleep, risking extensive damage to their oral health. To protect the teeth and jaws from constant pressure and friction, our dentists provide night guards for teeth grinding. We encourage you to meet with Dr. Hart if you or a member of your family have a habit of night grinding.
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching.
If our dentists suspect that you suffer from bruxism, they may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a custom night guard.
This night guard will be custom made to fit your smile comfortably and effectively, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your smile. We invite you to contact us today to learn more about night guards and how we can prevent teeth grinding. We are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your smile.